Sunday, September 2, 2012

Beag-mation

    
     Cute dog, right????  Hard to believe she was in a shelter for 4 months.  Harder still when you hear that she and another dog were abandoned by the side of the road, and there they sat for 5 days waiting, waiting.... Thankfully a woman who drove that route to work took pity on those dogs and got them to the shelter.  My godmother, Linda, had been visiting this shelter with her daughter and grandkids, and they were interested in this little girl.  But when it came down to it, she was not quite little enough so they went with another dog at the shelter.  Linda knew that the kids and I were wanting a dog again, so she told me about her.  I talked, talked, and talked some more with Ken about adopting a dog.  He never said no, so I took that as a yes.  :)
     When I knew the paperwork had gone through, I made plans to drive down to Kalamazoo to pick her up.  I told the kids that we had a BIG surprise in store, but it involved a ~really~ long car ride.  They all eagerly agreed and climbed in the car.  They had exceptional behavior in the car, and followed my rule of "you can't ask me about where we're going".  2 and a half hours later we pulled into the shelter's parking lot and I told them we were getting a dog.  I was met with stunned silence as their jaws dropped.  I don't think they really believed me until the dog was licking their faces.
     I finished the last bit of paperwork and then we all piled back into the car for the return trip (keep in mind this was the northbound leg of the journey on Labor Day weekend).  We stopped a few times to stretch our 6 pairs of legs, but all in all it was a pretty tame drive.
   So this part Beagle, part Dalmation, sweetheart has jumped right into the family.  She is full of kisses and rolls over for a belly rub as soon as your hand touches her fur.  Today, we even found a name for her.... Meet Riley Rogers.


No comments: